[LINK] US-AMA far too complacent about human RFID tags

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Jul 4 11:25:10 AEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 10:57 +1000, Daniel Rose wrote:

> Shell have a promotion in which one is given a card with a Petrol
> purchase, then you go to the website and type the code in for a year's
> fuel.

For the *chance* of a year's fuel.

> The Promoter collects entrants’ personal information in order to
> conduct the promotion.

Not strictly true, unless ONLY information needed to run the promotion
is collected, which I suspect is not the case. However, that sentence
makes it clear (IMHO and IANAL) that any other use is "not of the
essence" which greatly strengthens this bit:

> By entering the promotion, unless otherwise advised, each entrant
> consents[...]

That's not too bad, actually. All you have to do is advise them that
your information may not be used for any other purpose other than your
participation in the draw and to contact you if you win, and you are in
the clear. The do NOT make your participation conditional upon your
consent, only on your provision of the info.

The problem is that these conditions are typically printed in one-point
type on the back of a shopper docket or similar. That makes the issue of
"informed consent" somewhat fraught.

The Shell one also leaves open the possibility of you withdrawing your
consent.

Regards, K.