Informed consent was: Re: [LINK] US-AMA far too complacent about human RFID tags

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jul 4 14:20:24 AEST 2007

At 01:47 PM 4/07/2007, Roger Clarke wrote:
>Yes, it's definitely a contribution.  I have doubts about it solving
>the whole problem, but it does, for example, make it much easier for
>us all to discuss how iniquitous MS, Sun, and every other supplier
>is or isn't;  and that transparency helps in bringing pressure to bear.

The other aspect is 'bundled consent'. This is when something you may
agree to, like being contacted if something needs a recall versus
holus bolus distribution of your email and phone number along with
your name, date of birth, gender, income, etc. to unrelated third
parties, often called secondary uses of the data. I attended a
session recently where the benefit to the individual came with
strings that their info be accessible for a range of secondary
purposes with implied consent; i.e. you opt in/volunteer to
participate, but by doing so you also agree to the PIU (privacy
invasive uses) [pronounced: pee-ewe; I just made that up].

There is a similar approach to bundled consent in terms and
conditions with our friends at Telstra [or at least there was,
havent' checked recently] with their broadband T&Cs. They hold that
if you subscribe, you agree to conform to industry codes of practice.
How weird is that? When I questioned them about that, they didn't
want to know about it and wouldn't change the agreement. I took it to
the TIO, but they said that they had no jurisdiction over contract
terms BEFORE you became a customer. If you agreed to the terms, then
you were bound by them and they would only be concerned if the
company did NOT enforce the ludicrous condition. Something is
backwards in the legal logic here, eh?

So despite the view that consent is a given or benign, you gotta look
at the evil villains along the way as well, as Fred Chaney told the
press club today in his talk about Howard's Invasion.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005