[LINK] China and Australia using New Media for Governenance

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Jul 5 10:31:12 AEST 2007

Greetings from the Creative Industries Precinct in Brisbane, where the
China, East Asia, Media, New Media Conference 2007 just started. About
one third of the delegates are from China and I am feeling a little out
of my depth, not from the overseas visitors, but the media studies
emphasis of the conference. To me the Internet and web are for carrying
"stuff" and I worry the stuff gets from author to reader; exactly what
the stuff is I don't much care. The other speakers at this conference
are vitally interested in the content and its effect on society.

I will be on two panels at the conference. As I am last on each panel, I
don't expect I will get to say much, but prepared full notes and slides
anyway:

1. "Inventing a New Media for China Beyond the Olympics", 11:25am, 5
July 2007 <http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/china_wireless.shtml>.
In this I suggest the Internet and web can be used for a blend of
education, media and administration to create consultative government of
local communities. This can be applied to an apartment block in China or
a remote aboriginal community in Australia.

2. Web Site for the 2008 Beijing Olympics: Integrating Sport, Money,
Phones and Politics, 2:30pm, 6 July 2007
<http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/beijing_olympics.shtml>. I give a quick
rundown of the various web sites created for the Olympics. BOCOG invited
me to Beijing to give some advice on the web site in 2003. But I point
out that the new Beijing 2008 Olympic Web site does not comply with
accessibility standards. As a result it will be more difficult to use,
particularly for those using mobile wireless devices and those who have
trouble reading the languages provided.

Comments and corrections are welcome.

Also Graham Young, Chief Editor, On Line Opinion
<http://www.onlineopinion.com.au> has arranged Pizza tonight for the
opinionated (I am on the advisory board for the publication).  Contact
him for details: <graham.young at onlineopinion.com.au>

Blog version of this with some extra links at:
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/07/china-and-australia-using-new-media-for.html>.

--
  Tom Worthington FACS HLM
  PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia