[LINK] How far the fibre?

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Mon Jul 9 20:52:37 AEST 2007

How then, to explain fibre less than 300 metres from my rural home?  If,
as the linked information suggests, Telstra has for years been laying
fibre whenever it's laid copper, then there must be thousands of
kilometres of the stuff in the ground just waiting for some generous
government to offer a subsidy.

As Russell Ashdown says in the linked information: "the major cost when
installing cable plant is not the cable itself, but the labour costs of
the installation", so laying fibre while personnel and equipment are
available makes sense.  The extra cost of the fibre can be considered an
investment.  When the subsidies come, Telstra will cash in big time.

--
David Boxall                    |  The more that wise people learn
david at boxall.name               |  The more they come to appreciate
                                  |  How much they don't know.
                                                        --Confucius