[LINK] the Apple iPhone rort

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Thu Jul 12 10:41:46 AEST 2007

On 11/07/2007, at 10:33 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:

> Yeah, not having a replaceable battery is a real pain, probably
> would stop me buying one.  I used to always have a spare battery
> for my phone and in the past you used to be able to buy chargers
> for them but not these days.  I must say, batteries are another
> place where companies try to lock you in.  Think of all the
> different kinds of batteries in phones, cameras, video cameras,
> PDAs, laptops, etc.  Cellphone handset makers seem particularly
> prone to this kind of lock in although it is changing, but think of
> all the special connectors, headphone connectors, chargers etc.

As I mentioned earlier, it's all part of retaining a business model
that does more than sell you the initial product.

Think Gillette, or ink-jet ink.

Actually, if anyone has any real criticisms of the iPhone, it's the
AT&T fine-print that is the scary part (and not the phone). I'm not
sure how most Australians would react if they were told that if you
call someone using an iPhone on the AT&T network, both parties pay.

iT