Re: [LINK] Australia Gets Broadband – A S low Connection For A High Price

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Jul 15 20:03:59 AEST 2007

At 07:07 PM 15/07/2007, steve jenkin wrote:
>So when you say "Best Effort" without clarification, it doesn't show any
>knowledge or appreciation of the field.

I knew what Richard meant -- at least I think I did. 'best effort' =
maximum on the best of days, the most throughput you could ever
expect. And the amount you actually do get is affected by the factors
you listed, Steve. I was on a low-end service for six months where
the game most of us played was testing the traffic speeds and
bitching about how bad they were on Whirlpool. Now that I'm on a
better service, I don't waste my time doing that any more.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005