[LINK] Fwd: Launch of Australian Screen Online

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Jul 23 11:49:44 AEST 2007

At 03:12 PM 20/07/2007, Stephen Loosley wrote:
>... The Australian Screen Online website
><http://australianscreen.com.au/> was launched this week in Sydney,
>giving the general public access to all of Australia's cinematic
>history with over 500 film and television programs represented on the site. ...

Good content. The site doesn't just have old films, but includes
clips from relatively recent ones, such as Ten Canoes
<http://australianscreen.com.au/titles/ten-canoes/>. However, the
popularity overloaded the site it initially. The developers have made
some changes to speed up the site and it seems to be working better
now. Contrary to media reports the developers say they are improving
the efficiency of the server, rather than buying more hardware.

It happens that I was talking with staff at the National Film and
Sound archive before the launch and warned them there was likely to
be a problem with the new web site. A similar problem had occurred
with the UK based "Aerial Reconnaissance Archives" in 2004. There was
a discussion of the issues on Link:
<http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2004-January/054572.html>.

The UK designers had made the job for their server particularly
difficult by giving every image on the site a different URL for each
person who looked at it. This made sense for tracking use of the
valuable historical photos, but not when applied to to the logos on
the home page. It made it impossible to cache the images. When the
BBC ran a news item about the site the server was overloaded. Fixing
the URLs for the images on the main pages seemed to help.

A similar problem occurred with the Sentinel fire tracking system
which the Australian Government launched a few days before bushfires
in Canberra in 2003 <http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/enet.html>. When the
fires broke out the system became overloaded. A separate server with
userids and passwords for firefighters was installed, but I also
suggested putting some canned output from the system for the general
public to look at. The canned output could be cached and did not tie
up the database server generating a new map for each user.

In the case of the film archive I suggested offering fewer films per
web page. They might also change the default setting for the media
player from Broadband to Dialup and so it does not start downloading
content by default. At present the media player will start
downloading the broadband content as soon as you go to a clip web
page, in anticipation you want to play it. If you don't want to play
it, or want to dialup version, that is a waste.

They could also modify the logos of participating organisations to
save a little of the load on the server. The Commonwealth Arms has
not been optimized for online use
<http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/epolicy.html#edocs>. But you have to be
careful with what you do with the Commonwealth Arms, as there are
strict guidelines
<http://www.pmc.gov.au/guidelines/commonwealth_coat_arms.cfm>.  I
once had to tell the staff of a government minister that they
couldn't have the commonwealth arms as a background pattern on the
minister's web page. Sticking the MPs face over the top of the
pre-eminent symbol of the power and authority of the Commonwealth
Government did not seem to be appropriate.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml