[LINK] Myspace deletes sex offender registered members

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Wed Jul 25 09:36:26 AEST 2007

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/25/1987535.htm

MySpace deletes 29,000 sex offenders

MySpace has deleted 29,000 profiles of sex offenders off its website.
(ABC News: Giulio Saggin)

The operators of the social networking website MySpace say they have
detected and deleted 29,000 profiles belonging to convicted sex
offenders on its service.

That is four times as many as the company said it had deleted in May this year.

The News Corporation-owned website attracts about 60 million visitors
a month in the United States alone.

The new information was first revealed by US state authorities after
MySpace turned over information on convicted sex offenders it had
removed from the service.

"The exploding epidemic of sex offender profiles on MySpace -- 29,000
and counting -- screams for action," Connecticut Attorney-General
Richard Blumenthal said in a statement.

Mr Blumenthal, who led a coalition of state authorities to lobby
MySpace for more stringent safeguards for minors, and other state
Attorneys-General have demanded the service begin verifying a user's
age and require parental permission for minors.

The minimum age to register on MySpace is 14.

"We're pleased that we've successfully identified and removed
registered sex offenders from our site and hope that other social
networking sites follow our lead," MySpace chief security officer
Hemanshu Nigam said in a statement.

The service has come under attack over the past year after some of
its young members fell prey to adult predators posing as minors. The
families of several teenage girls sexually assaulted by MySpace
members sued the service in January for failing to safeguard its young members.

Late last year, it struck a partnership with background verification
company Sentinel Tech Holdings Corp to co-develop the first US
national database of convicted sex offenders to make it easier to
track offenders on the Internet.

Convicted sex offenders are required by law to register their contact
information with local authorities. But the information has only been
available on regional databases, making nationwide searches difficult.

As of May, there were about 600,000 registered sex offenders in the
United States.

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005