[LINK] Blackle: turn Google black to save the planet

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Thu Jul 26 12:46:12 AEST 2007

On 26/07/2007, at 10:33 AM, Stilgherrian wrote:

> CRTs are still being bought new for applications where precise colour
> matching is critical, such as high-end graphic design, as LCDs
> (apparently)
> don't have the same consistency of colour matching across their
> gamut. My
> partner is a photographer and a CRT sits on a desk nearby for this
> very
> reason.

I work in high-end graphic design and have done for more years than I
care to remember, and agree that most LCDs available today are not a
match to most CRTs in use or for sale, but high-quality LCDs *are* as
good as high-quality CRTs.

But it's a matter of paying good money for good reproduction. And to
have decent shielding above the monitor (LCD or CRT) to accurately
display material - and to calibrate the monitor often.

Color-matching gamuts for high-end LCDs are as good as needed for
most printing work, and better than needed for any digital/web work.
For most designers, it's a case of using what offers the most
consistent colour, across every available pixel - something which
LCDs are actually pretty good at these days.

And nothing beats size: it's hard to find a decent CRT beyond 21"
that doesn't take up an entire desk of its own, yet very good 30"
LCDs are available which can sit alongside your computer gear.

Personally, I'm extremely happy with my 24" LCD - and so are my
clients, some of whom know their Pantone colours inside out, and can
detect mismatched inks on recycled paper even in a darkened room at
50 paces (i.e. they are fussy, and don't mind being fussy about colour).

iT