[LINK] Re: Social computing for government and business

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Jul 31 15:25:34 AEST 2007

At 9:47 +1000 31/7/07, Tom Worthington wrote:
>Roger made a good case that something in Web 2.0 was worth
>researching, even if it was just working out if Web 2.0 is actually
>anything.  ;-)
>Some aspects: Syndication ...

The questions, discussions, Tom's notes, and a reference forwarded
today by Link Institute member Kerry Webb, were all very helpful.

And I happened to get the reviewers' comments back this morning.

Like the audience last night, they wanted the interpretation I'm
making to end up a bit tighter and more assured than it is at the
moment.

I think the final version may end up entitled:  'Web 2.0 as
Syndication'.  Even AJAX is consistent with that theme, because it
enables the marketer to get greater control over the browser and
hence is an enabler of the syndication of content and advertising.

>The new trendy area of the web is social networking ...

I think I now know where this belongs.  It's another form of 'content
syndication' (people gift to the operator personal data about other
people).  And it tends in the direction of 'identity syndication', in
the sense of 'you are defined by your web of contacts' (just ask
Haneef ...).

But I'm still struggling to see a natural (or even virtual)
relationship between virtual worlds and Web 2.0, even SecondLife.

It's not too late to sort me out on the details, thanks!
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/Web2C.html
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/EC/Web2C-ANU070730.ppt (5MB)

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong