[LINK] Social e-tiquette

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Jun 4 20:12:22 AEST 2007

At 11:50 AM +1000 4/6/07, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>Having just received my first invite to someone's facebook - I took
>the option to opt out of further invites....is this the social
>equivalent of not accepting a business card?
>I constantly get reminders from someone who put me into their
>address book about 10 years ago...which I now label as SPAM?

I routinely decline invitation to be in people's published address
books / social network services, as below.

Most people actually both reply and say they've deleted my entry.
Many also say that they hadn't thought about those aspects before.  A
few say that they're re-conssidering whether they should use the
service.

Standard response:

I'm delighted to be in *your* address-book.

But kindly delete all information about me from <SNS-name>!!

And please ask them to confirm to you that the data has been entirely
deleted, and that they have not retained any copies.

For the reasons why, see:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/DV/ContactPITs.html

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong