[LINK] Google denies Street View has privacy issues

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jun 6 08:22:03 AEST 2007

At 07:36 AM 6/06/2007, Antony Barry wrote:
>Google denies Street View has privacy issues

I did an interview for Perth radio on this yesterday. At this point,
I tend to agree that this is a tempest in a teapot. It's far lower on
the continuum of privacy threatening than the street surveillance
cameras recording our every move in public spaces. At least this way
we can partially check what was snapped and request it be removed. I
think this thing is more about embarrassment, like 'candid camera' or
backgrounds in any type of photo taken in public spaces.

The last question was something like "Since Australians are usually
an uninhibited lot, when they come to do Australia, should people be
advised in advance so they can line up in the streets in their boarders?"

I suggested if anyone had in mind to drop their daks, they needed to
remember the pictures were going out on the net and a lot of people
would see them. I don't think the interviewer expected that answer.

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005