[LINK] after the DNCR

Stewart Fist stewart_fist at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 7 10:46:28 AEST 2007

Fred ('the Pedant') Pilcher says:

> I had a call from what sounded like a Chinese call centre claiming to be from
> what sounded like "ING Sydney", though I asked them to repeat it several times
> and couldn't really get it straight.
>
> I was pretty annoyed since this was the day after the DNCR was supposed to
> have been activated. I asked for the contact details of "ING Sydney" and got a
> lot of BS. I asked to be put on to a supervisor, asked him the same questions
> and, surprise, I was "breaking up" - eventually he hung up.

I had a call also, but this one was a recorded (American voice) message
telling me I had won a holiday in Florida or Bermuda, and that I needed to
press some number buttons to get further info.

This was also days after activation of the no-call rule.

I made the assumption (maybe incorrectly) that by taking their invitation to
press a button, I was acquiescing to being called ... or perhaps becoming a
'customer' within the meaning of the DNCR legislation.  I was so furious
that I put down the phone without finding out who, or what company, was
making the promotion.

My guess is that the government's release of the no-call list has given
Telstra's international associates in the call business, a new defined list
of who to call, and that this approach may be a new way to get around the
legislation.

Of course, since it is a recorded message, there is no way of asking
questions to find out who was behind it, other than to follow their
instructions.

Are there any lawyers on the list who know the DNCR legislation?

--
Stewart Fist, writer, journalist, film-maker
70 Middle Harbour Road, LINDFIELD, 2070, NSW, Australia