[LINK] E-mail question

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sat Jun 9 11:03:06 AEST 2007

Ivan Trundle wrote:

> Here's a real example to illustrate my question better:
> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/2152AFA3-DE5C-4A92-BE17-672C7858E854.html
> <http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/2152AFA3-DE5C-4A92-BE17-672C7858E854.html>

Neither works in SeaMonkey's email client. It is a bug.
That email client does indeed recognize both of the above as URLs, since
it displays them as links. But it does not include the entire URL in the
link. Very annoying.

The bug? A URL starts with a scheme like "http:" and ends with an "unsafe"
character or the end of string. ref: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1738.html

Characters like - and . are valid inside a URL and do NOT signify the end
of the URL. My client chops the above as follows:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/2152AFA3-DE5C-4A92

which is arbitrarily incorrect. Why stop at the third dash in the
URL? Probably an interaction with maximum line length. And yet the
entire URL is displayed on one line, i.e. it does not wrap.

The RFC on URLs states the following:

    Thus, only alphanumerics, the special characters "$-_.+!*'(),", and
    reserved characters used for their reserved purposes may be used
    unencoded within a URL.

> And if either were wrapped:
> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/2152AFA3-DE5C-4A92-BE17-672C7858
> E854.html
> <http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q2.07/2152AFA3-DE5C-4A92-BE17-672C785
> 8E854.html>

Neither work in my SeaMonkey client.
This problem has plagued the entire Mozilla suite of email clients
since probably the day dot.

It would be interesting to hear from MS Outlook users.

cheers
rickw