[LINK] Meaningful Learning [was Concept Model of IA Terms]

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Sun Jun 10 13:56:06 AEST 2007

Eric Scheid wrote:

> On 9/6/07 11:32 PM, "Chris Pallé" <chris.palle at blueflameinteractive.com>
> wrote:
>

>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_map

This topic seems to have a context of User Interface design, however
(potentially highjacking the intended thread) following up the wiki link
I came across this:

<quote>
Novak's work is based on the theories of David Ausubel (assimilation
theory), who stressed the importance of prior knowledge in being able to
learn new concepts.

     "The most important single factor influencing learning is what the
	learner already knows. Ascertain this and teach accordingly."[3]

In his book Learning to Learn, Novak states that "meaningful learning
involves the assimilation of new concepts and propositions into existing
cognitive structures."

</quote>

Which I thought was a very useful set of statements.

It got me thinking about the current trend to treat teaching/learning as
a set of discrete units which students get marks or grades for. The sum
of the grades being an indication of educational achievement, with a
particular total being a requirement for a qualification.

This contrasts with my educational experience (in the UK in the 1960s
and early 70s) where my learing was guided by people who understood the
need for an ordered assimilation of "new concepts and propositions".

The idea that students can direct their own learing, to me, is a
fallacy. How can someone who doesn't know a subject decide what they
need to learn?

I am very suspicious of the "cut and paste" style of assignment teaching
- to me there is a large difference between knowing and understanding. I
wonder at how today's students develop an understanding of a subject,
rather than where to go to get data.

I didn't learn as much from books as I did from the people who taught
me. Teachers don't seem to be as much a part of the modern education
system as they were.

Or have I become a grumpy old man?

--

Regards