[LINK] Some shocking news about wireless electricity

Stephen Loosley stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jun 11 20:51:57 AEST 2007

At 11:24 AM 12/06/2007, Stewart Fist wrote:

>> Resonance charging makes sense for robots, cars (where-as)
>> Toothbrushes now, and random gadgets, will soon use inductive
>
> They'd be better off talking about 'efficient induction coupling' and
> 'inefficient induction coupling'

Yes, you are right Stewart, in your usual rational, non-emotional manner
of discussion, (and the same as Glen etc in that regard) and also in your
non-esoteric, here-and-now, and down-to-earth view of the 'real' world. :-)

This is also the same world which is populated by consumer electronics.
And in this same consumer world we have tooth-brushes, hearing aids etc
which will be considerably safer consumer items if they have fewer seams
in their construction to act as micro-flora breeding grounds. This means no
recharging contacts. But is also means a charging coil mis-match because
of size and speedy charging requirements.  I need my essential hearing aid
to charge 'now', (if I needed one) but without the luxury of a large in-built coil.

So, perhaps resonance and just plain induction may be useful terms for the
inevitable mis-match when remote charging becomes normal? I have never
claimed to be an expert on anything, but when I make my coils for electronic
hobby items (the shank of a drill-bit I have eventually discovered is the 'ideal'
former for winding coils for my resonating circuits)  then spent hours getting
the exact wire or shank gauge and number of turns to suit 'real world' needs
for maximum performance, the difference between resonance and induction
is important. However perhaps in terms of describing power couplings in the
future in everyday consumer items maybe we should all seek resonant items.

Btw1: Whilst on coils, one of my favourite thought-topics, although I have not
read of this anywhere at all, I strongly suspect that the, 'coil' that must be the
electro-magnetic wake of all celestial bodies as they 'coil' through space and
time will be found to be the dark energy of the universe, ie, resonance energy.

Btw2: And whilst on our real world, and consumer items, might I ask that you
set your computer clock to the right day? It makes following a thread difficult :-)

Cheers Stewart
Stephen Loosley
Victoria, Australia
.