[LINK] E-mail question

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Wed Jun 13 11:54:50 AEST 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 02:54:49PM +1000, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded both on and off Link.
>
> It looks to me as though there is no standard, and the use of angle
> brackets isn't of any real help to those who are unable to read
> longer URLs.
>
> Although it has been suggested that we use TinyURL or similar to send
> out this kind of information, I regard using a third-party website to
> direct people to our website as a highly unprofessional.

you know that there are several cgi scripts around that do basically
the same job as TinyURL? it would be trivial to write, anyway - just a
lookup table of small_url -> stupid_url and issue a 302 redirect.

you could install one on your own web server.

you could even do it with apache conf RedirectMatch rules, but then you'd have
to edit the apache config and reload apache every time you needed to do it.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>