[LINK] Email Obfuscation Helps Spammers: Google returns 27 million results for "* at * dot com"

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Sun Jun 17 15:44:08 AEST 2007

On 17/06/2007, at 2:23 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:

> http://typewriting.org/2006/06/19/Email_Obfuscation_Helps_Spammers/
>
>> Email Obfuscation Helps Spammers
>>
>> Some people think email obfuscation is a good way to fight spam,
>> <snip>

>> Google returns 27 million results for "* at * dot com". That's 27
>> million email addresses waiting to be spammed. Google doesn’t
>> allow you to search for the "@" sign, so that’s 27 million email
>> addresses that wouldn’t be available on Google if they were not
>> obfuscated.

<snip>

All this tells me is that using "at * dot com" is not a good way to
hide an address, that's all. I agree in principle that if you want to
hide an e-mail address, you don't put it on a public website. But for
the countless millions who want to publicise their e-mail address,
but NOT to spammers, there are other ways. It just depends on how
inventive you want to be.

After searching too many Australian government websites recently to
find a particular person's e-mail address, I came to the conclusion
that most government departments are actively pursuing the former
path, not the latter. Mind you, with people transferring jobs every
time you blink (in and out of government), it hardly matters.

iT