[LINK] OT: Is translation a copyright violation?

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Mon Jun 18 13:40:36 AEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 12:13 +1000, Adam Todd wrote:
> Karl doesn't have an interest in my opinion

Very true. What remarkable perspicacity.

> Firstly I think Karl means a Transcript of lyrics, not a translation,

When I use the word "translation" I mean "translation". Had I meant
"transcription" I would have used that word instead.

> although he didn't specify if the original lyrics were in a language
> different to that of what he intends to do.

Normal people would have found the word "translation" sufficient
evidence of this.

And there is nothing "intends" about it, it's done. That's part of the
problem.

> If however Karl means to translate from say Turkish to English, the
> words of a song, then provided it actually hasn't already been done,
> its not a contravention of copyright.

Well, yes, apparently it is. This has been stated, with references and
supporting evidence, by several people whose messages you clearly saw
fit not to bother reading.

K.