[LINK] Senator Coonan on 7:30 Report

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Tue Jun 19 14:06:51 AEST 2007

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> Roger Clarke wrote:
>> At 11:10 +1000 19/6/07, Richard Chirgwin wrote:
>>> And yes, the 19km link  was a little tricky, but the YLess4U guy has
>>> local knowledge. We were looking out the lakeside window of the
>>> National Museum, I suppose the connection was pointing roughly
>>> northwest between a couple of hills.
>>
>> Mt McDonald above Cotter reservoir is 788m, cf. the Museum's 560m. But
>> it's slightly south of west.
>>
>> WNW at 19km is the hill above Uriarra Crossing, but it's only 622m.
>>
>> NW at 19km is Surveyor's Hill at 788m, but there seem to be no
>> convenient roads and anyway Black Mt's nearby 812m bulk should block it.
>>
>> Odd.
>>
>> (Although I can see that he'd have needed to stay away from existing
>> installations, and hence the obvious nearby hills were all too awkward).
>>
>> I don't want to be unduly sus about YLess4U.  (I don't know them, and
>> I'd love these things to work).  But this doesn't seem to stack up,
>> and, in accordance with Link Institute philosophy, I'm sceptical.
> ...Be more sceptical of my memory of geography. Just looked at a map,
> which of course is the last refuge of the vague-out ... would
> East-South-East sound more reasonable?

 From the description of the lakeside window, there is a possibility, it
was pointing North Eastish to the mountain/reserve (near Dickson - I've
walked it but don't recall the name) between Mount Ainsley and Black
mountain. This may also give coverage to Bungendore and the wine growers
North of Canberra.

The Museum is in a great location with the lake on all sides - I worked
for the AIH on this site, before moving to Sydney and the hospital was
imploded.

> RC
>>
>> On the positive side:
>>
>> The towns that they currently cover mostly look more tenable -
>> although Michelago has an awkward low ridge in the middle, and I the
>> Burra valley has a fold in it too:
>> http://www.yless4u.com.au/coverage.html
>>
>> And the slide set from last year looks pretty credible:
>> http://www.yless4u.com.au/news.html
>> http://www.atug.org.au/ATUG2006RegionalConf/AnthonyGoonanPresATUG2006RegConf.pdf

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au