[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Thu Jun 21 00:41:05 AEST 2007

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 10:52 PM 20/06/2007, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>> A spokeswoman for Austar (one of the unsuccessful bidders and holder
>> of spectrum below the "public" spectrum) was talking to Fran Kelly
>> this morning.
>>
>> It seemed the winning bid may be based on LAN WiFi rather than WAN
>> WiMAX. I think Mobility was thrown in for good measure and there is
>> still an issue of how the backbone will be provided - satellite or cable?
>>
>> Guess this is the big network architecture question.
>
> Does anyone know who is providing the satellite connectivity on these
> systems and what the longterm capacity is if that is the downlink
> component of the system?

The obvious candidate would be Optus to provide the Satellite links.

> Also, what are the main bottlenecks/drawbacks on the government's
> proposed solution other than overselling what the bush will really get
> out of this system in terms of parity with city dwellers?

The minister promised it would all be done by 2009 or does that just
mean the money will be spent by then?

I am not sure what you mean by parity with city dwellers - we, in the
cities, have choice/competition from a viable market.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au