[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Sat Jun 23 06:19:56 AEST 2007

Karl Auer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 13:10 +1000, David Lochrin wrote:
>>    Yes, but back here on planet Earth actual decisions have to be made
>> on the basis of some remote contact with cost & benefit.
>
> And there speaks the mind that would not have bothered sending anyone to
> the moon.
>
> There was no direct benefit from that either, and precious few direct
> "beneficiaries", but it spun off technologies that changed the world. It
> created new professions, new markets, and new possibilities, most of
> which were not, could not, have been predicted, even by the most
> wild-eyed dreamers of the time.
>
> Someone on "Planet Earth" had better get up to speed on the fact that
> the future is about to happen. We can do our best to catch the wave, or
> we can bob about in the wakes of those who thought bigger and faster
> than we did.
>
> It starts with the realisation that "cost and benefit" need to be looked
> at from a different perspective. Not from perspective of the
> small-minded, bean-counter perspective, but from the perspective of our
> society as a whole.
>
> Regards, K.

But the reality was sending people into space was much more useful and
the Russians still did that first and continue to lead the way.

With your line about the amount of bandwidth...this is going to increase
over time, the question is what should we be buying now, not selling the
farm to buy a 2007 mega speed white elephant.

Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au
Phone: 0414 869202