[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jun 22 18:27:53 AEST 2007

At 06:01 PM 22/06/2007, Craig Sanders wrote:

>what the hell else can you possibly mean when you're talking about
>"videoconferencing" in the home? videoconferencing and videophones
>basically means the same thing except that the "videoconferencing"
>implies more expensive, professional or semi-professional equipment,
>while "videophone" implies simple, cheaper consumer equipment. aside
>from the expense and the quality of the equipment, both terms are
>talking about essentially the same technology.

uh, no. videoconferencing doesn't have to use expensive, professional
equipment, but they help increase quality. Videoconferencing is the
linkage of two or more locations using videocameras and microphones
as input devices, with video monitors (computer or television) and
speakers as outputs, linked by a telecommunications channel. There
are two types: point to point, which is what you are thinking with
the videophone as the input/output device, and multi-point, which
requires a bridge to manage signal distribution. Videophones are a
type of videoconference device. Videophones could be expensive. They
are when compared to telephones.

Would home-based teleworkers benefit? possibly/probably, depending on
the business. Would families benefit? possible/probably, depending on
the family. Does the entire society have to fund the Mercedes
version? I don't think so. Do we need 'head room' for unanticipated
applications? Sure, to a degree. But do we do that out of the shoot?
I don't think so. That's my parity question. Can we afford it for
every home? Would higher bandwidth services be good for business and
social institutions like medicine and education? I think yes.

Horses for courses must be part of the analysis, don't you agree?

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005