[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Sat Jun 23 08:30:55 AEST 2007

On 23/6/07 6:19 AM, "Marghanita da Cruz" <marghanita at ramin.com.au> wrote:
> With your line about the amount of bandwidth...this is going to increase
> over time, the question is what should we be buying now, not selling the
> farm to buy a 2007 mega speed white elephant.

Yeah, but how about we make sure we buy a system where our investment now
forms part of a strategy to build that megaspeed network in the future?
stepping stones to the future, not dead ends?

I don't know much about WiMaX, but from the sounds of it, it's something
that'd have to be replaced with something else not that many years into the
future.

Copper wires lasted us a very long time, and fibre optics last a similarly
long time -- we just get cleverer about what we attach to the ends. But
isn't the physics of wireless very different?

My question is, I guess, are we making the best choice as part of a
long-term view? Or are we being connect by WiMaX/monorail salesmen?

I don't know the answer, but I have a bad feeling about this, Luke...

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia