[LINK] Your money dot con on ABC/RN

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Sun Jun 24 17:42:21 AEST 2007

I have a friend who set up his own mail server on his broadband
connection, a fixed IP.  He was, I should add, an experienced unix
sysadmin who had set up many mail servers.  Because of either the
rDNS settings provided by the ISP or the fact his IP was in a
registered ISP client broadband pool or something like that there
were many mail servers in Australia who would refuse to accept mail
from his server.  It's a pity that while so much spam originates from
botnets on ISP pools that the approach of trying to block client
pools doesn't actually seem to limit spam while hitting people who
set up their own mail servers.