[LINK] Theft, copyright, larceny... (was: In other news....)

Sylvano info at gnomon.com.au
Mon Jun 25 17:39:57 AEST 2007

Greetings all,

Who am I to dare speak, where lawyers fear to tread ;-)

Interestingly, I attended a seminar recently where a legal type described how in Australia we've had those recent "improvements" to our copyright laws to essentially accept the comon reality that people record TV programs to view later and so really shouldn't be considered criminals.  But, it may be the case that it is the case still that to record a program for later viewing, *while actually viewing* the program during recording process is technically a breach!

I think Rosenburg is off the hook if we can grant him the claim that "theft is theft" is correct by virtue of being a tautology.

Larceny is a theft of property without necessarily distinguished physical and intellectual property per se, where as robbery and armed robbery (ie the gun) is a form of theft that needs to involve the threat or actual use of force and violence.

And I can certainly imagine that it is valid to call something armed robbery where someone has a gun put to their head so as to be forced to make a copy of sensitive or valuable data for the perpetrator.

Copyright is a legal protection to the unauhorised copying of a work and so violating copyright to gain an unauthorised copy of a work is theft.

Sylvano

 Weekends. Are they important? - Gnomon Publishing
 http://www.gnomon.com.au/cgi-bin/www/survey/survey.pl?survey_choice=Weekend