[LINK] In other news....

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Jun 25 20:16:47 AEST 2007

At 07:45 PM 25/06/2007, Janet Hawtin wrote:
>Control of information is a fundamental aspect of generic freedom.
>Our information law is out of step with our conversations about free
>society democracy environmental responsibility. We need to think about
>free trade as something which is trade which makes communities free to
>participate.
>ie freedom as a right and a responsibility, the impact of our choices
>on others and on our context as a whole. We need to think beyond "ME"
>economics.

Even the press leaders are finally pissed off about this. The public
right to know group is led by them. The sentences of the two Herald
Sun journalists and the whistleblower from security last week has
finally awoken the sleeping giant, as they were called on the 7.30
report tonight. Fairfax and News have linked up with I believe reps
from broadcast media as well to call the govts on their extended secrecy.

One of the basic tenets of a functioning democracy is an informed
citizenry. Otherwise it's all smoke and mirrors. Well guess what we have now.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005