[LINK] In other news....

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Jun 26 09:18:12 AEST 2007

Craig Sanders wrote:

> what's even LESS nice behaviour is the corporate welfare behind the magical
> transformation of a CIVIL matter (copyright infringement) into a CRIMINAL
> matter.
>
> that's not merely "not nice behaviour", that's criminal corruption.

This is the kind of "corruption" (i.e. corruption of the democratic process,
a process which was originally designed for the people and by the people)
that Lessig is now pursuing for the next ten years.

If you haven't read it, read it!

Lessig Rises Up Against Political Corruption
http://lessig.org/blog/2007/06/required_reading_the_next_10_y.html

IMHO, divesting corporations of their "citizenship status" (i.e. a person
under the law) would be a good start in this direction. This one distinction
in law has allowed directors to shirk their responsibilities, has allowed
disasters like Enron and Onetel and HIH to occur, has allowed corps
to get away with things an individual "real person" would never dream
of,  .... need I go on?

Divesting corps of their person status would not rid the world of corruption,
but it would re-introduce a level of transparency and accountability that
has been missing in the corporate realm for decades. I say we make directors,
executive and shareholders DIRECTLY responsible for a company. Banish limited
liability and re-invent the laws so that those who corrupt are easily
identified and held accountable. Afterall, this is the way I am expected
to act as an individual in the workplace and in society!

cheers
rickw