[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

Stewart Fist stewart_fist at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 26 16:46:57 AEST 2007

Eleanor writes:

> * farming is for agricultural scientists, not hayseeds, these days; and
> there are many documents that are useful to download, some of them quite
> biggish.

You must be using a 300 baud modem, if you think that you need gigabit fibre
data rates to download any document on the internet.  We are talking here
about rates that will download the American Library of Congress.

> * our basic communications world-wide seems to need high speed, high
> volume links, and i would guess this trend increasing for some time.

That's not BASIC communications at all.  Basic communications is a single
telephone wire with shared local plug-and-socket services.  What you are
talking about as basic, is something designed for HDTV delivery.

Geoff's point about satellite delays, only apply to roughly symmetrical
interactive services, where the back-channel is also over the satellite.
One way broadcast doesn't suffer delay problems.

Asymmetrical services can use terrestrial low-bandwidth back-channels

--
Stewart Fist, writer, journalist, film-maker
70 Middle Harbour Road, LINDFIELD, 2070, NSW, Australia