[LINK] Theft, copyright, larceny...

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jun 27 12:54:28 AEST 2007

Craig Sanders wrote:

>> I, for one, will continue to use "theft" and "piracy" when writing for
>> public consumption,
>
> one can only hope, then, that you defame someone who gets annoyed enough about
> it to sue you for it.  maybe then you'll learn to be more precise in your use
> of language, *especially* when writing for public consumption.

Let's say Joe Bloggs is found guilty of software copyright infringement.
Then Stewart reports that Bloggs has been convicted of software piracy.
Can Bloggs reasonably sue for defamation or libel?

cheers
rickw

p.s. IMHO, the answer is no.

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking
about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
      -- George W Bush, Washington DC, 20040805 (http://www.dubyaspeak.com/)