[LINK] Stolen or copied?

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jun 27 13:54:49 AEST 2007

Concerning the misappropriation of "intellectual property".

ABSTRACT PROPERTY SCENARIO:

Joe: Bob, you stole my recipe for Wonder Biscuits!

Bob: No I didn't. I borrowed it.

Joe: Well then, give it back.

Bob: Okay, here it is. You now have your recipe back.

Joe: But you still stole it!

Bob: No, actually I copied it.

CONCRETE PROPERTY SCENARIO:

Joe: Bob, you stole my Wonder Biscuits!

Bob: No I didn't. I borrowed them.

Joe: Well then, give them back.

Bob: Okay, here is what's left. I ate some of them.

In scenario one, some Linkers would have us believe that Bob
is a pirate and a thief.

And yet the term pirate would not be used in scenario two
unless Bob pillaged/attacked/murdered to obtained the biscuits.

There is a cognitive mismatch here with the terminology. Why
is that?

There is but one answer: vested interests have manufactured the
language of copyright (and NOT patents!) to frame perpetrators in
a despicable and overly and overtly defamatory manner using common
lingo.

Has anyone viewed the "video piracy" adverts on DVDs and VHS rental
tapes? They are laughable! This is where the corrupt language and
terminology comes from.

No matter how much the press would like delude itself into thinking
otherwise, most people will never consider someone who copies a
CD onto a cassette, who records a TV show, who downloads a movie from
the net, or who burns a copy of a DVD for later viewing a PIRATE
or a THIEF. A COPIER or even an ILLICIT COPIER ... perhaps. But I
strongly doubt it.

Moving a step further along the heinous scale, is someone who distributes
another's copyrighted material that they have copied a PIRATE?
Not in my books. A THIEF? Nope, not by any popular definition of
the word.

Let's take it one step further. Is someone who sells another's
copyrighted material PIRATE? A THIEF?

At what point are these terms valid? Is it just a matter of degree?
Is it a slippery slope? I myself say no. The terms are manufactured
and foisted upon us, the great unthinking unwashed masses.

"They" have done it before, are doing it now and will do it again.

Yes, we will keep up the figh for peace, killing so others can live,
surgical bomb, shock and awe, and fight terrorism and piracy on all
fronts until we win the war on everything.

Goodness me, without aware and critical citizenry questioning the
crap that is thrown at us on a daily basis from the multi-media
empire we would be brainwashed in a matter of weeks!

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking
about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
      -- George W Bush, Washington DC, 20040805 (http://www.dubyaspeak.com/)