[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 28 07:26:08 AEST 2007

Saliya Wimalaratne wrote:

[snip]
> For geostationary satellite, the delay is about 450ms (one-way sat, one-way
> terrestrial) or about 1000ms (two-way sat).

'Scuse me, but 270 milliseconds both ways.

Geostationary orbit = 35,800,000 metres
Speed of light = 299,792,458 metres per second (in a vacuum)

Two-way trip = 239 milliseconds plus a little bit for atmosphere, which
isn't vacuum.

Two two-way trips (ie, user > Internet > user) = around half a second.

RC