[LINK] Your money dot con on ABC/RN

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Thu Jun 28 12:24:32 AEST 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Daniel Rose wrote:
>> Kim Holburn wrote:
>>> I have a friend who set up his own mail server on his broadband
>>> connection, a fixed IP.  He was, I should add, an experienced unix
>>> sysadmin who had set up many mail servers.  Because of either the
>>> rDNS settings provided by the ISP or the fact his IP was in a
>>> registered ISP client broadband pool or something like that there
>>> were many mail servers in Australia who would refuse to accept mail
>>> from his server.  It's a pity that while so much spam originates from
>>> botnets on ISP pools that the approach of trying to block client
>>> pools doesn't actually seem to limit spam while hitting people who
>>> set up their own mail servers.
>>>

>> Sorry to revive a dead thread, but it's interesting that
>> ACTEWAGL/Transact/Grapevine
>> in the ACT block port 25 outgoing and incoming; which means you can't
>> even receive
>> mail on the link, let alone send it.  Their solution? upgrade to a
>> business rated connection.
>>
>> The premier carrier in the National Capital of the clever country with
>> the latest broadband initiatives
>> blocks incoming port 25.  It's mental!
>
> You're supposed to POP it off an "approved" ISP so that it can be viewed
> and analysised to ensure that you are not doing anything naughty.  I
> assume to can do SMTP to their "approved" ISP, or do they only allow web
> based email - much easier to monitor...

Yes, but then you're tied to the ISP for the email address, you can't take it with you.

The frustration for me was that it was just done; no warning, no emails, nothing, just suddenly
incoming mail bounced as other SMTP servers couldn't reach ours.  Of course the TOE probably
says no servers, so I guess that's fair enough, but it's not enlightened.