[LINK] The PLAN, and broadband speeds?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jun 29 14:50:15 AEST 2007

At 09:36 AM 29/06/2007, Karl writes:

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 16:23 +0000, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

>> In terms of current satellite-data gentlemen, my free 'Broadband
>> Connect' dedicated-landline backhaul of 64 with 256 satellite/wireless
>> broadband down connection,  <www.onewire.com.au/index.php?id=145> pings
>> ANU (150.203.99.8) with packet size of 32bytes, and a TTL of 224, with
>> an RTT of 53ms, 53ms, 54ms, 49ms & 48ms respectively?
>
> I don't think you are going via a satellite.You can't change the speed
> of light.. can't get a geostationary satellite into that close an orbit.

Karl, both you, and Saliya, are correct .. without telling we customers,
this week, onewire.com.au changed over all but three of their country
towns to Optus ADSL for both trips because of interference. (Perhaps
they should now change their name to "two-wire' haha). So, the very fast
ping times noted are quite accurate (no need for the question mark at the
end of my post now). It's interesting that the changeover from satellite
to the local exchange ADSL, (though it's still wireless to the our homes)
occurred with no loss of service, or apparent interuption, what-so-ever.

It took a phone call to them today asking about the fast ANU ping times,
to find out about the changeover. One's got to be impressed with our tiny
but try-really-hard local Aussie country provider start-ups, and, anyone
want a slightly used IP satellite antenna which is still mounted on the
roof of the local pub? :-)

Cheers people
Stephen Loosley
Victoria, Australia