[LINK] Theft, copyright, larceny...

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Jun 30 12:34:58 AEST 2007

At 12:26 PM 27/06/2007, Stewart Fist wrote:

[actually, this is from a newspaper article which we are shamelessly
stealing because we're infringing a copyrighted article, thereby
denying potential sales from the orignal publisher}

>  Hew Raymond Griffiths ran the piracy group Drink or Die from his home at
>Bateau Bay on the New South Wales central coast. He was extradited to the US
>earlier this year to face charges relating to the theft of nearly 60 million
>worth of software movies and music.

[confession: haven't read the entire thread, so maybe the retort has
already appeared; just home from a few days away]

60mil @ $20/item = 3mil items stolen? Oh, really? Uh, I think the
reality would be more likely $60mil of 'lost'/unrealised 'sales',
right? But that was the other part of the argument which has been
left out now. Has software vendor 'smoke and mirrors' become part of
the legal conceptual framework now?

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005