[LINK] atheism

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Mar 2 17:03:59 AEDT 2007

Frank O'Connor wrote:

> The Bard and others of a literary inclination, great visual artists,
> brilliant stage technicians and great musicians operate on a
> non-rational plane. I'm an atheist, but not one of Dawkins' ilk. I see a
> place for irrationality, for belief, for proceeding without empirical
> validation, for other systems and methodologies other than those
> espoused by science.
>
> Without them we would be poorer ... immensely poorer.
>
> Dawkins' rigid views if followed to their LOGICAL conclusion (one I
> doubt he intended) would deny us access to much that has made us great
> and worthwhile - even if we were blown out of existence tomorrow.

After reading his book I felt Dawkins was the closest thing to Mr Spock,
the emotionless Vulcan we all know and love from Star Trek.

That said, I don't feel Dawkins is attacking non-scientific systems in
realms not belonging to science. But where cosmology and origins are
concerned he is unforgiving in his arguments. And I agree with him on that
point. We've already hashed over the damage caused by organised religion
etc. etc. on the list.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it
is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
      -- Arthur Schopenhauer