NSW WiFI project was Re: [LINK] report on municipal networks

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Fri Mar 9 09:58:01 AEDT 2007

rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Someone was bound to push back against the "free enterprise" institutes'
> arguments against US municipal wireless.
>
> BTW, "decades" is about right. Typical useful lifespan of fibre is
> estimated at 25 years.
<snip>
> Kim Holburn wrote:
<snip>
>> http://www.newrules.org/info/5ways.html
<snip>
>>> Ms. Vargo Daggett also notes that cities that own infrastructure like
>>> roads and water pipelines should not fear owning the physical
>>> information network. “Concerns about obsolescence are overstated.
>>> Fiber optics is the gold standard, with essentially unlimited
>>> capacity and a lifespan measured in decades. Wireless technology is
>>> rapidly evolving, but its price is low and the payback period is short.”
>>

>> hmmm.... decades?  I think infrastructur people think in slightly
>> longer terms than that.
>>
>>> Moreover, unlike investments in traditional infrastructure, an
>>> investment in information networks can generate a significant
>>> return.  “The investment will not only pay for itself, but can
>>> generate revenue that can pay for other important municipal services.”
<snip>

This seems to be the model the NSW Government is running with, though
conversations in public places reveal people are skeptical it will
happen. Though I don't see why not...don't the canadians get free local
calls with their telephones? ...note that there are other players in the
market besides optus and telstra....

<http://www.smh.com.au/news/wireless--broadband/nsw-to-roll-out-free-wifi-service/2006/11/29/1164476252715.html>

--
Marghanita da Cruz