[LINK] Access your areas

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Tue Mar 13 12:56:47 AEDT 2007

Lodge a complaint with the Health Complaints Commissioner in your State. (Google Health Complaints Commissioner for a list).

This is a relatively common occurrance and should be dealt with quickly and easily.



> -----Original Message-----
> From: link-bounces at anumail0.anu.edu.au
> [mailto:link-bounces at anumail0.anu.edu.au]On Behalf Of Howard Lowndes
> Sent: Tuesday, 13 March 2007 10:14 
> Cc: link
> Subject: Re: [LINK] Access your areas
> That mirrors my recent experience.  I had to undergo a day proc to 
> remove a BCC which needed some slight associated cosmetic surgery to 
> replace the resultant hole.  My private insurance paid less 
> the excess 
> that I had agreed to when I took out the policy.  The problem 
> was that 
> the surgeons bill had a "co-contribution" which I paid, the hospital 
> required I pay the excess on their claim, the gas jockey slapped the 
> $200 excess on his bill which I refused to pay (the excess) as he was 
> supposed to tell me his charges before the op and didn't and stuck a 
> consent form under my nose to sign when I was in pre-op without 
> spectacles and with a anesthetic line already in my arm, then I get a 
> bill with $100 not covered from the path labs for the 
> analysis on the BCC.
> Rick Welykochy wrote:
> > Karl Auer wrote:
> > 
> >> Not at all. If you don't want the rebate, you can pay the service
> >> provider the full amount, directly. I did this several times when I
> >> needed medical services in Australia while I was a 
> non-resident. If you
> >> cover the whole bill yourself, you don't need a card.
> > 
> > There is a sad and costly irony associated with the private 
> health care
> > insurance "top up" high income earners have to suffer. I 
> was hospitalised
> > with adult onset whooping cough (!) in 2004, in a public 
> ward in the RPA.
> > The fellow in the bed across from me, who was in and out of 
> the hospital
> > constantly with a rare chronic disease told me the following.
> > 
> > If you have private insurance, DO NOT declare that fact to 
> the hospital
> > staff upon admission. That way, all costs are paid directly 
> by medicare
> > and you pay nothing. If you do declare private coverage, 
> the hospital will
> > bill you at top rates. You then have to cover these costs 
> yourself and
> > then seek a rebate from the private insurer, often at 
> partial amount of
> > recompense, i.e. you are out of pocket with private health care!
> > 
> > The upside of the whooping cough incident: I was transfered 
> to a private
> > room which I enjoyed for the duration of my "incarceration" 
> since the
> > staff at the time did not know what disease I had and could not risk
> > me infecting an entire public ward.
> > 
> > 
> > cheers,
> > rickw
> > 
> > 
> > 
> -- 
> Howard.
> LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people 
> <http://lannetlinux.com>
> When you want a computer system that works, just choose Linux;
> When you want a computer system that works, just, choose Microsoft.
> --
> Flatter government, not fatter government; abolish the 
> Australian states.
> _______________________________________________
> Link mailing list
> Link at mailman.anu.edu.au
> http://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/link
This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission along with any attachments immediately. You should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.

More information about the Link mailing list