[LINK] Fwd: MR25/07: Protect your computer from internet scams

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Mar 20 14:07:20 AEDT 2007

Antony Barry wrote:

>> The Australian Communications and Media Authority has advised
>> consumers of steps they could take to help protect themselves from
>> internet scams. The full media release can be found at http://
>> www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD//pc=PC_310088

"Make sure that you have a computer ‘firewall' to help prevent
  malicious access to your computer."

Why is firewall in quotes? It is not a special word that doesn't
fit the context.

"If you have opened an unsolicited email, think before you click"

How would I know? Spammers and crims are getting much better at
crafting the subject line to make you think the email is important.
I am seeing a raft of these subjects:

   Failure to authenticate your account

   Returned mail: Data format error

   Delivery reports about your e-mail

Someone who relies on the Internet for business and important
communications will be very tempated to open these. The first is
a phishing scam and the other two have the latest in virus
technology attached.

That said, it is good to see advice being published to alert naive
users to scams. The site points to this page:

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/693900

Hair-raising tales of woe. This one aught my eye, and made me realise
how truly naive people can be:

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/699124

Nicole responded to a pop-up saying she won a holiday. She called the
number, gave out her credit card details and the roller coaster ride
to high-pressure sales and lies began. Read it if you are interested.

cheers
rickw