[LINK] Labor commits to $4.5b high-speed Internet network

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Mar 23 10:44:16 AEDT 2007

At 12:53 PM 22/03/2007, someone wrote:
>>The Federal Labor leader Kevin Rudd has pledged more than $4.5
>>billion to build a nationwide Internet broadband network. ...

There was a question to Happy Helen on Nightline: is your objection
that if the ALP does this, there will once again be a publicly owned
telecom company?

She didn't answer.

What I wanted him to ask was: what will happen when this goes in and
all the voice calls shift to VoIP services and away from the Telstra
owned central offices/switches? (maybe I have this wrong about
Telstra 'ownership'?) Will cheap phone calls of huge numbers, not the
pittance at the moment, be regulated against to prop up Telstra?

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005