[LINK] Labor commits to $4.5b high-speed Internet network

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Mon Mar 26 15:34:17 AEST 2007

On 26/03/2007, at 12:26 PM, Roger Clarke quoted:

> The notion that there's a tearing urgency to spread broadband to
> the far corners of this sparsely populated continent is an
> unexamined proposition being pushed by vested interests in the
> media industry and tech-head enthusiasts.

> Pandering to the punters' double impatience - their impatience to
> soon be able to download things faster - shouldn't be confused with
> progress or genuine productivity.

Well said. I've been using the internet now since 1989. I'm not even
sure what my download speed is as I chose my plan on the upload
speed, 256k ...pauses to find download speed ... 1.5M. Plenty fast
enough for my needs. When I download anything really big I've got
plenty of other things to do while it's happening.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au