[LINK] Link's Influence

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Tue Mar 27 14:57:50 AEST 2007

My recollection of the most influencial discussion we had was back in 2000-2001 and was around whole of government IT outsourcing.

There was considerable discusion on Link regarding the benefits and processes surrounding the whole activity, not the least being the role of the international lawyers Shaw Pittman.

There were more than a few media representatives on Link who ran with the story, the most persistent being Selina Mitchell of the Australian.  She hounded Finance Minister John Fahey's office mercilessly and was vindicated with the publication of the Humphry Review in January 2001 which resulted in the initiative being killed. It didn't help John Fahey's career either.

The other group of lurkers was politicians and their staff, with Kate Lundy and Natasha Stott-Despoja, being the more prominent.

I'm sure that by raising and highlighting issues we had a significant impact on the eventual outcome.

--
Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn