[LINK] HD-DVD and Digg/Wiki

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed May 2 19:53:32 AEST 2007

Linkers

An interesting phenomenon is occurring right at this minute in the
world of online collaboratively-edited websites: take a look at
digg.com (or even wikipedia) to see how a democratic news sites react
when the owner threatens to remove posts, block or delete users, or
otherwise protect the interests of the site due to the user-provided
site content.

The code-cracking of HD-DVD is news in itself, and the voice of
50,000 Digg users created an avalanche of complaints and completely
flooded the RSS channels with the code.

Kevin Rose, owner and founder of Digg.com, is very unhappy about the
voice of the many, to the point of saying, after attempting to delete
all references to the code, that "...we won’t delete stories or
comments containing the code and will deal with whatever the
consequences might be. If we lose, then what the hell, at least we
died trying."

iT

digg.com, if you're interested...