[LINK] More with google maps - Uluru and Great Wall

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Thu May 3 08:38:30 AEST 2007

On 03/05/2007, at 2:21 AM, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Alastair Rankine wrote:
>>>
>>> You can't - it's an urban myth.
>> Well, does 180 miles up qualify as "space" ? If so, then the Great
>> Wall *is* visible from space, see http://www.snopes.com/science/
>> greatwal.htm
>
> The Great Wall should be visible as I have a desktop wallpaper of
> the Mars Rover at the Victoria crater and that was taken by the
> Mars Orbiter from 279km above the Martian surface, and the Mars
> Rover is only the size of a golf cart and you can even discern its
> tracks and the shadow of it's camera mast.

279km above Mars is not equivalent to 279km above Earth (considerable
atmospheric differences) - and further, contrast and reflectivity
determine object visibility (putting aside the resolution of the
image capturing process), at any distance.

I'll concede that the Great Wall is visible from certain places - now
how about the other claim - that the WA Dingo Fence* is ALSO visible?
There's a good deal of discussion on this one, too: even though it's
only a fence...

iT