[LINK] Considering Fibre to the Home

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon May 7 11:55:45 AEST 2007

At 11:36 AM 7/05/2007, George Bray wrote:
>Have any recent costings on a long term migration to FTTH been done?
>If we are to spend $5-10b now, will that investment be wasted when we
>come to the next upgrade. It would be excellent to have a 25 year plan
>that took into account the current rusty copper, the intermediate FTTN
>plans and where we really want to be compared with other emerging
>broadband economies.

One aspect must be the cost of 'digging up the street' more than
once. I guess the argument could run that the nodes are fewer and
they would only be digging up the main trunk runs.

What about places that still have aerial cables? Just bringing it up.
No answers.

The WAN concept also needs to be put in the mix. Glass may not be the
full answer at all and probably isn't.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005