[LINK] Considering Fibre to the Home

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Mon May 7 12:40:57 AEST 2007

On Mon, May 07, 2007, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

> Well part of that problem is peering arrangements.  Originally Australia
> only housed people wanting to get "stuff" from the USA which left us
> with very little in the way of a bargaining chip for peering..  Now,
> apparently, we have something they want in the USA and therefore we have
> a significantly larger bargaining chip when it comes to peering in the
> USA... Perhaps we should look at what we have to offer the world a
> little closer, and develop (where needed) what we are offering and then
> renegotiate the peers, then all we will have to do is pay for our half
> of the fibre regardless of bandwidth.

We've got something they want? Cool, where is it? :)

Last time I checked (and this is third hand), I heard Google in Australia
has a very open peering policy in Australia. I'm in discussion with a few
content delivery companies (who are using Squid, something I develop in
my spare time) who are putting PoP's out in Australia so they don't have
to try and get international carriage.

We've got customers, sure, but what content do we 'ave? I'd really like
to see it.

> I'd be happy with a fiber to home and my current 5G cap it would beat my
> 8M ADSL1 connection hands down.... and whilst living in London I very
> nearly spent the 17,000 ukp/yr on a 155M fibre to the home, in fact I
> would have done if it wasn't for the 30,000ukp installation charge they
> wanted... that would have bought a 3 bed house in my home town...!

The multimedia would be cool, but being able to download your 5 gigabytes
in about 10 minutes would probably drive parents nuts as their own
internet connectivity suffers because their kids downloaded a movie
on the sly.

> ... on the same subject, I was under the impression that Canberra
> actually had some FTTH in the recent past... If I remember the details
> the ISP providing it went bust because the cost was too high... was this
> right or wrong?  Is the fibre still there or has it been taken for
> something else?

Perth has a little bit of it too, thanks to Bright Telecommunications,
but it didn't last very long.

(Me, I really wish Western Power just kept laying fibre whenever they
laid underground power cabling .. I hope they're not kicking themselves
over it in the not too distant future.)

Adrian