[LINK] Centrelink computers to keep tabs on the dead and flying

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed May 9 09:55:57 AEST 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>
>> Centrelink computers to keep tabs on the dead and flying
>> Adele Horin
>> May 9, 2007
>> SMH
>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/budget2007/centrelink-computers-to-keep-tabs-on-the-dead-and-flying/2007/05/08/1178390314987.html
>>

>> WELFARE FRAUD
>> A system to link death notices to the Centrelink computers will become
>> part of the Federal Government's weaponry against welfare fraud.
>

> I do work for the AEC and the local office (and I would assume most
> offices) scan the death notices in the local paper.  Since AEC data
> match with many other agencies I would assume that CL would already have
> such info.
>
>> The system of automatically transferring death notice information to
>> Centrelink has been tried successfully in a pilot program, the
>> Minister for Human Services, Chris Ellison, said.
>

> ...but who or what agency is being arranged as the prime capture agency.
>  It strikes me they may have to recruit hospitals, doctors, funeral
> directors, etc.

and banks - these payments are no longer by cheque but by direct deposit.

...it strikes me that the welfare payment system has been poorly
designed and is too complicated - resulting in delays in adjusting
payments which are then being labelled as fraud.

> The measure is designed to ensure that payments to an expected 12,000 families of deceased Centrelink customers are stopped as soon as possible to prevent grieving relatives from accumulating social security debts.
>
> It is part of a $113.8 million strategy to combat welfare fraud announced in the budget and designed to save almost $270 million over three years.

With the baby bonus stuff this is delivered to new mothers in hospitals.
 From the AMA site...<http://www.ama.com.au/web.nsf/doc/SHED-5EXGLG>

> Can I claim a Medicare item for a Death or Cremation Certificate?
>
> A Medicare benefits is not payable for issuing a Death Certificate, however an attendance on a patient on which it is determined that life is extinct can be claimed under the appropriate Medicare item.  For additional information please refer to MBS Explanatory Notes A.3

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au/