[LINK] 'Smart' cars as fuel-efficient as hybrids

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon May 14 12:10:14 AEST 2007

Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> David Boxall wrote:
>
>> <http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2007/1918364.htm>
>>
>> ... 'intelligent' cars are conventional vehicles fitted with sensors
>> and receivers called telematics, which work in a network, swapping
>> information about the traffic ahead.
>>
>> This traffic information is then relayed to the car to stop the
>> vehicle or slow it down so that the ride is smooth, avoiding the
>> stop-start phenomenon that drains fuel.
>> They calculated that a hybrid version of the car would deliver fuel
>> economy of 15-25% over the unconverted vehicle.
>>
>> But this saving was matched when the benchmark car was fitted with
>> basic telematics that predicted traffic flows as little as seven
>> seconds ahead, as determined by Australian driving conditions.
>> If the predictability was boosted to 180 seconds, the
>> newly-intelligent car was 33% more fuel-efficient than when it was
>> unconverted.
>>
> And therefore, I suppose, since a hybrid uses petrol as well, it could
> be made more efficient by the same techniques...

...this morning, i had the unexpected pleasure (not) of getting a blast
of the fumes from what I am guessing is the blended fuel as the
neighbours giant four wheel drive started up.

Is this stuff supposed to be greener or just cheaper?

to quote bob brown we now have a choice between an old fiscal
conservative and a young fiscal conservative.....sounds to me we're
fiddling while the earth burns

--
Marghanita da Cruz
http://www.ramin.com.au/