[LINK] Recommended email addresses...?

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Tue May 15 09:18:16 AEST 2007

Gentle Linkers,

To qualify as a "good citizen of the Internet", which email addresses should
organizations monitor and respond to?

Obviously there's the ones mentioned in RFC 2142 like postmaster@ and
hostmaster@ and abuse@ ... http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2142.txt ... but what
about others that are just "assumed" to be in use. webmaster@ comes to mind,
if I want to tell someone about a problem with their website... are there
others?

Are some of those RFC-listed addresses now considered to be "quaint" and can
be safely ignored in practice?

This is in the context of BUSINESS, not "personal domains" -- though I'm
tempted to say that if someone maintains an Internet presence under a
specific domain name then there should probably be some generally-assumed
way of contacting that person "via the Internet", which in practice means
via email, and that we can assume that the message will be received. Or does
the Internet not qualify as "real" communication in this regard?

This is also in the context of the REALITY of the Internet today, not the
idealism of the Internet from 20 years ago back when everyone was an anally
retentive systems administrator... ;)

Comments please!

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia