[LINK] spy technology

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Sat May 19 10:17:18 AEST 2007

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> [...]
FYI - no one uses ISO-18000-6B tags in Australia, the new EPC Gen 2 Tags
ISO-18000-6C is now the norm.

> so very easy to purchase, so very cheaply, and

Australian compliant readers are still around the $3000 mark (+
antennas). Though I have no doubt they will reduce in cost. Also in time
I expect shorter range, lower cost reader to become available.

> in any number, all complete with gig ethernet ports, (perhaps for scanning
> then RFID tag computer-cracking),
Not sure what you mean by this. RFID tags are designed to be read.

> it may soon be too easy for someone
> not to try. They probably won't be industry self-regulation group members.
>
> Jan is right. RFID technology needs strong ACCC oversight.

To do what exactly?

> For example:
>
> <http://invengo.en.alibaba.com/offerdetail/56909110/Sell_RFID_Reader.html>
>
> The Reader is a long range UHF RFID reader that can work with any RFID
> tag following ISO 18000-6B protocol to provide complete RFID solutions
> for different vertical market, such as intelligent traffic and ETC ...
>
> Sell Points:
> Long Range Reader, ISO 18000-6B Protocol, Firmware Upgradeable
>
> General Specifications:
> Dimension: 229x312x92mm(9.0x12.3x3.6 inches)
> Weight: 2.5kg (5.5lbs)
>
> Case Material: Aluminum
> Frequency Range: 902-928MHz
> Air Interface: ISO18000-6B
> Digital I/O: 4 TTL input, 4 TTL output
> Data Rate: 40Kbps
> Memory (optional): 512Kb
> Reading Range: 12 meters max. (39')
> Antenna: 1 port for XCRF-500, 2 port for XCRF-502
> RF output power: 2W
> Comm. Ports: RS 232 & 10/100M Ethernet
> Upgradeability: Firmware Upgradeable
> Power Supply: 100-240V AC
> FCC Approval: Yes

It would be illegal to use this product in Australia. The frequency band
is not Australian compliant: (Frequency Range: 902-928MHz ) which is 918
to 926Mhz

Anyway despite that, so what, it is a RFID reader and is typical in
specification of what you can get in Australia!

Geoffrey Ramadan B.E.(Elec)
Chairman, Automatic Data Capture Association (www.adca.com.au)
and
Managing Director, Unique Micro Design (www.umd.com.au)